Monday, August 30, 2010

The great escape!

I have spent the past five days in Tasmania. I hadn't been there before, but I was looking forward to having a break. Friends did ask me why I was going there, but I had never been there before and was looking for something new to do. I have to say I was very impressed. Tasmania is beautiful. I spent Friday by myself with a map and a hire car. The good thing about having no destination is that you can't get lost. I worked my way up from Hobart to Wine Glass Bay, which was stunning. It was the first day I had to myself and had no plans for a very long time. I felt like I had been let out of jail and was making my escape! I spent the new few days with a friend who took me around the southern tip of Tassie, driving through the wine areas and even went up Mt Wellington for a snow fight! It was the first time in a very long time that I felt like me again (albeit with short hair!). Sadly, the return to reality was tough, as I had to make my way from the airport straight to the hospital for treatment. However, I have woken up today feeling well and refreshed. Only ten more treatments of Herceptin to go!

The only downfall about the Tasmanian trip was that I did miss the young women's group on Monday. The group last week was good. There is a mix of stories and personalities, which always makes for interesting discussion. It still amazes me that so many young women are afflicted with this disease. I heard that the average age of women who get breast cancer is over 60, yet I am hearing about more and more women who are half that age! I met one girl who was 28 when she was diagnosed. I can't even imagine getting that news when you are so young. It freaked me out enough when I was 34.

In other news, my hair is rapidly making a comeback and I bought some shampoo that is supposed to help it grow faster. I am not sure if it will work, but at least it makes me feel like I am doing something helpful. I am hoping to be able to get a hair cut before I start my new job in three weeks! I feel like new beginnings are starting, just in time for spring.

3 comments:

  1. love tassie, so beautiful!

    re: hairgrowth: gelatine! my other half is a Food Technologist - Gelatine makes hair grow fast & strong. so start eating the Jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bec,

    Thanks for the tip about the jelly. I am going to buy out Woolies supply today! I will let you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen
    That is so wonderful that you are making a speedy recovery and that you have a new job to go to; isn't it amazing how things work out?

    Great that you had a holiday in Tassie; we are actually hoping to go there in between my final chemo treatment and radiation in Jan as my cousin is getting married....so it sounds like it was a really great place....

    I've just had chemo treatment 2.... it was horrendous. I felt like I was going to die yesterday so it was refreshing that you said your body copes with it... I was actually scared on friday night that if I closed my eyes I was slip into a coma as I felt so so terrible and sick... so I still have six sessions to go which seems impossible right now!

    Thanks for the positive thoughts here as it makes me realise that I can get through it; it's very tough but it will happen! I'm really pleased to hear your womens group is going well too. I am thinking about going back to work in Oct part time so am not sure I could fit something like that in... when does it happen and where? I have a feeling you may have emailed me about it but i think i may have accidentally deleted it; oopps!!

    thanks again and have so much fun getting back to yourself. I'm sure you will be changed forever and i'm sure there will be many positives; you will never wake up and take your health for granted again for one!!

    Good luck with your new job too; i'm very excited for you.

    Susie x

    ReplyDelete