Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New firsts

Yesterday afternoon I did something very exciting.....(drum roll please).........I got my eyebrows waxed for the first time since January! Yes, this means I have enough eyebrows to groom! I know it might not seem like such a big thing, and this time a year ago I would have thought it was a painful necessity, but yesterday I almost skipped into the beautician with pure hairy glee. Sad, I know, but I find enjoyment in the little things now. As a flow on to the facial follicular grooming, I am now able to bid farewell and shave my hairy legs. Hopefully this action will cease any future discussions about my hairy legs at parties to which I am not in attendance.

The article came out in City News today (http://paper.questnews.com.au/papers/bcn.html). I was very relieved to find out that they didn't use one of the bald head shots for the front cover. The article was written very well and didn't make me sound like a loser, which was my primary concern after the bald anxiety. The article was about this blog and also mentioned the young women's group which starts next Monday afternoon. I am looking forward to the group. I already know two of the women who are signed up for it, so it will be like catching up with friends. It is very comforting being with women who know what it feels like to go through what you have gone through. I hope the article and this blog helps women who have breast cancer and also encourages all women to be more diligent in their health checks.

The job hunt continues, but now I can do it with confident and well shaped eyebrows!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen
    Congratulations on a really wonderful story in CityNews which I have just read; it is really positive and inspiring, particularly for other women going through this ordeal. That is so exciting to hear that your eyebrows have fully grown back and I'm sure it won't take long for your hair to grow back too!

    Thank you for keeping in touch with me throughout your journey. It has been really helping knowing there is someone else out there in the same age that has been through it!

    Take care and I'm sure when this is completely over, you will realise the many positives that have come from this life challenge..
    Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy Pandy, read your article with interest yesterday. Kezza had told me about your illness, but I wasn't aware of the severity and commend you for your positive attitude and use of humour to get you through - maybe I could learn a thing or too! Good luck with the new brows and the rumbos.

    Chrissy P

    ReplyDelete