Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Body hair and disclosure

As I enter the end of the first week of radiation, I find myself starting to think about the future. I think it is because I spend a portion of every day lying down half naked in a room full of strangers, I have to think about something to distract me from my reality. I had two close friends go on first dates this week and I began thinking about dating again. I miss getting dressed up, going out and feeling excited about a date. That feeling of butterflies in your stomach leading up to the date, and the cheeky smile that comes across your face when someone asks if you have plans that night or weekend. I have started going out again a little bit, but am still feel reluctant. I still do not feel comfortable with myself and how I look. Even though the addition of eyelashes made such a huge difference the other week, my eyebrows are atrocious and can't be salvaged with the use of an eye pencil. I can't complain too much though, my hair has started to come back. Unfortunately, it appears to be coming back from the ankles up. So I basically have hair in all the parts that you spend money on getting it removed - except my eyebrows!

I used to be a huge fan of the flirt and even did it without meaning to. The other day, I was in my car and a guy pulled up next to me and smiled. I just looked straight ahead and ignored him, I didn't know what to do. I am so out of practice, it is sad. As I find myself going out more and more, meeting new people and catching up with old people, I have started to think about when I should disclose what is happening to me. I am not going to use it as a conversational opening, but at some point it needs to be told. Hopefully at some point I will meet a guy who becomes a person of interest, when is an appropriate moment to tell my possible future husband? My treatment is going to continue for another year, and the issue of babies can't be raised for at least three years, so that can't be hidden. Another thing that can't be hidden is my cool collection of scars. Well some scars can be hidden under clothes, but some can not. Obviously, this is not something that I need to deal with in the immediate future, as nobody is going to want to date a female Uncle Fester. I hope the eyebrows appear in time for me to meet my possible future husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment